Monday, April 22, 2013

It's Earth Day: What will you do?


Happy Earth Day!  I thought I would reach out to you and find out if you had any ideas as to what you can do to keep the planet healthy.  Let me tell you what I did last year.

At this time last year, I decided to stop using paper towels and napkins.  I thought it would be a great way to save a lot of trees.  Don't get me wrong, I still have some in the house.  They are great for soaking up oil from fried foods or bacon that I have baked.  I use napkins in the kids' lunch boxes. However, the paper towel roll is kept on a lower shelf, off the counter, behind a closed door, so that I don't know it is there.  In its place, I use bar mops for clean-ups in the kitchen.  I purchased them at Home Goods along with cloth napkins.  As the bar mops get old, I use them as rags to clean other parts of the house, i.e., bathroom, living room, etc.  As I move them to this pile of rags, I put a black "X" on the tag so I don't mix them up with the kitchen bar mops.  And something I didn't realize I would be saving, when I decided to make the switch to cloth, was money!  In this past year, I have bought one mega-roll of paper towels from BJ's Wholesale Club.  The previous year, I was buying one a month.  I don't have to do the math to know that I saved money.  Some people think that it is inconvenient to use the bar mops and cloth napkins.  At the end of the day, I throw them into the laundry for cleaning.  What could be easier?

This year, I will try to use less plastic.  I'll have to change out my storage containers in the kitchen to glass and stainless steel containers.  I'll have to stop buying water in plastic bottles and make sure that I always have my water bottle with me.  When shopping, there will be zero tolerance for plastic bags.  In the past there have been times when I have forgotten to bring my shopping bags with me.  Now, there is no excuse. I am on a mission to rid my life of plastic and keep the planet healthy.  It's one part of my fertile lifestyle.

Feel free to keep me posted as to what you are doing for Earth Day.  I'd love to hear from you.

If you want to learn more about how to help save forests, check out the National Resources Defense Council's article: A Shopper's Guide to Home Tissue Products.  It will tell you which facial tissues, toilet papers, paper towels and napkins are the most environmentally friendly.

4 comments:

  1. When I was in California - I saw water in milk cartons - versus plasrtic bottles. The idea has not ventured East yet - as I can tell. But it was interesting.

    One thing that they do in San Fran - which they should def do here - is no store will give you a bag unless you pay 5 cents. Kinda inconvenient if you do not know the drill. Like when I was in cvs buying 6 bottles of loose water for an event - and struggled to the register hands full waiting to dump my load of water, cookies and deoderant. Then, the cashier was like, do you need a bag. Uhhh, yes...!

    Giving up paper towels - hmmmmm. I would probally save alot of trees if I gave up my paper towel usage. But, with two 4 years olds, oy vey - i say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not heard about the water in milk cartons. That would save on the plastic. As for the paper towels, that's what we do and we have little kids as well. Having said that, you do what you can. Every small thing makes a big difference.

      Delete
  2. What do you put your trash in? Just curious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We live in a town that has single stream recycling. It means that I can recycle things such as newspapers, junk mail, cardboard, milk cartons, all plastic containers, and glass, into one recycling bin. The rest goes out as regular trash. Thanks for asking.

      Delete