Monday, April 1, 2013

A contemplative walk



Today as I waited with my daughter at the bus stop, I realized what a beautiful day it was going to be. So I thought, "What a great day for a run."  After she left, I went inside, changed into my running clothes and took my son to school.  However, when I got home, my body told me, "Take a walk instead."  I am glad that I listened.  For me, running today would have been a metaphor for my life, always on the go. By slowing down, I was able to enjoy what was around me.  I heard birds chirping, saw them finding worms (and there were a lot of them after the rain last night) and then flying away with their meals. Flowers were just starting to bloom after a winter that dragged on and on.

As I type this post, I feel thoughtful and contemplative.  I know there is a lot to do today but for once, I am not in a rush to do it.  I know that it will get done when it gets done.  My to-do list is a mile long, as everyone's list is.  It will still be there later, tomorrow, next week and forever.  To me, the lesson I was reminded about was that I should listen to my body more.  I am so grateful right now that I did.  Once in awhile, ask yourself, "Do I listen to my body?"  When you do, I hope that you will be as grateful as I was this morning.

A recent New York Times article discusses a study which supports what I learned on my walk.  It's called "Easing Brain Fatigue with a Walk in the Park."

4 comments:

  1. I had the same feeling yesterday and took a walk with Jeff, Ella and our cousin Leslie. It was kinds grey - but it was worth it to see the little flowers emerging from the ground and the birds singing. Spring is almost here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was great to see the emerging flowers. Let's hope we have seen the last of winter.

      Delete
  2. I completely agree...you have to listen to your inner voice and let that guide you. I walk my dog every morning and the other day I saw a huge red-tailed hawk perched in a tree and it totally made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing that story, Ann. I think we need to listen to our inner voices more. The problem is that we don't hear it because we are too busy rushing around.

    ReplyDelete